I know what you’re thinking, lemon and swiss chard in lasagna??? I thought the same thing but this recipe is surprisingly delicious. And just because it’s one of Martha Stewart’s recipes, don’t be intimidated. It’s actually quite easy to make and is man approved! After my boyfriend ate his piece he went back for seconds and came back with half the pan on his plate!
Here’s the Recipe:
- 3 TB unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 pound italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lemon, very thinly sliced
- 6 no boil lasagna noodles (Like Barilla)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring. As soon as milk starts to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in 3/4 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the swiss chard until incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the sausage (don’t forget to remove the casings!) in a skillet over high heat, breaking up into pieces, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Put the lemon slices in a small saucepan and cover with about 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the cheese & chard sauce in an 8-inch square baking dish (I used a 9 inch dish and it was just fine). Top with 2 noodles (and noodle pieces to fill the gaps), half the sausage, and 1 cup sauce. Repeat. Top with a layer of lemons, 2 noodles, then remaining sauce and lemons. Bake, covered with foil, for 27 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Heat broiler. Uncover lasagna; top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Broil until bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Source: Martha Stewart