It’s day 4 of the health cleanse and I’ve already lost 3.5 pounds! And it really hasn’t been that bad considering I get to eat delicious soups like this one. I don’t know how I didn’t discovery Barefoot Contessa earlier. I’ve been watching Giada and Rachel Ray for years but for some reason never thought to watch Barefoot Contessa. Boy was I missing out. Everything she cooks is beautiful and decadent. I had to take the decadent out of this soup by leaving out the butter and reducing the amount of half & half but I’m sure its even more delicious if you include these. In other news, I haven’t turned orange yet despite all the pumpkin and butternut squash recipes, maybe I need to try harder?
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I substituted 1 TB olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 (15 – ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half – and – half (I only used 1/2 Cup to make it a little healthier)
- Topping of your choice (Creme fraiche, grated Gruyere cheese, or croutons)
1. Chop up the butternut squash and the onions.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a large soup pot, add the onions, and cook over medium – low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Add the canned pumpkin, butternut squash, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium – low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender.
4. Process the mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to the pot, add the half – and – half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired. I used some good gourmet croutons and it was perfect.
Source: Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa