I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I love Giada De Laurentiis. I have every one of her cookbooks, and her Saturday morning cooking show set as a top recording priority on my DVR. However, sometimes I feel a bit deceived by her. There is no way a woman that teeny truly eats all the rich pasta dishes and decadent desserts she frequently makes on her show. I think I finally found her secret…..In the non-TV world, she is eating dishes like this amazing halbut on a regular basis as opposed to Nutella filled, fried ravioli. The sinful stuff is saved for special occasions and the light, fresh and healthy stuff is a staple. Moderation – the secret of life. Shhhh don’t tell anyone! If word gets out, my favorite Jersey Shore cast member Ronnie might lose his Xenedrine endorsement deal! But seriously, this fish is super delicious and easy to make. It’s satisfying yet so light, you feel like you can fly after you eat it!
For the Fish:
- Four 6-ounce halibut fillets, each about 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TB fresh chives, chopped
- 2 TB fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 TB lemon zest
- Lemon slices for garnish
For the Salsa Verde:
- 1 cup finely chopped arugula
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1/2 large lemon (about 2 TB)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried crushed red pepper
To make the fish:
1. Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together the chives, parsley and lemon zest in a small bowl.
3. Coat the halibut fillets all over with the olive oil. Place the fish on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and chive-lemon topping, pressing slightly to adhere.
4. Bake the fish just until opaque in the center, 9 to 10 minutes.
To Make the Arugula Salsa Verde:
5. Stir togther the arugula, parsley, olive oil, capers, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and red pepper together in a small bowl
6. When fish is done baking, place on individual plates and serve with arugula salsa verde on the side and additional lemon slices.
Source: Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis