I’m back! I’d like to say I haven’t posted in almost a week because I’ve been busy doing something really important like volunteering at an animal shelter or cleaning up the local beaches but really I’ve just been watching a lot of television and movies and being lazy. I did watch a few classics this past week in honor of Oscar season. Have you seen Funny Girl with Barbara Streisand? I absolutely loved it, and can’t believe I went 28 years without seeing that movie. While I ate this chili, I watched Fatal Attraction – luckily not during the scene with the rabbit. That movie is creepy! Luckily the chili made me feel safe and warm. This is very different from classic meat lovers chili but very delicious. The fun thing about chili is you can jazz it up with whatver toppings you like. I went for a mexican theme with my toppings but feel free to top yours with whatever suits your fancy.
- 3 cups cooked chicken (I used a whole fryer chicken, cut into pieces)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans green chilis, chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cans white beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 TB cornmeal
- 1 cup freshly grated monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Avocado (for garnish)
- Sour Cream (for garnish)
1. Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, green chilies and jalepeno and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Season the onion mixture with salt and pepper and add the cumin, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. and saute for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans. Once broth comes to a simmer, add the beans and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Stir in the cooked chicken and half of the cilanro and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the milk and cornmeal. Add the mixture to the pot and allow to cook for about 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream and the remaining cheese.