Guess what? You can have your chocolate and eat it too! Don’t you just love the genius people who come up with ways to make low fat versions of your favorite treats? I’ve slowly been working toward my anti-muumuu goal, but I need a baked good every now and then or I will lose my mind. Who knew you could replace oil and butter with applesauce and mashed bananas? What an amazing idea! Thank you Gina at Skinny Taste – you are a saint! Now that I have found a solution to my large behind, does anyone know where I can find a cute hat that fits my large melon? I must have tried on 30 hats this weekend and none comfortably fit my noggin. Big headed people need protection from the sun too. It’s not my fault my brain is so full of knowledge that my head is three sizes above average. Right….
Makes One Dozen Large Muffins
- 3 1/2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TB butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 TB powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with liners
2. In the bowl of a stand up mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg whites, mashed bananas, applesauce, and vanilla and beat at medium speed until thick.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Add the flour mixture to banana mixture and blend at low speed until combined; do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips and evenly divide the batter among the muffin tins.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean
6. Combine the powdered sugar and water to make the glaze and spoon evenly over the muffins.
Source: Adapted from Skinny Taste