This pizza sounds like a pretty, girly pizza you eat while sipping wine with your friends and wearing flowery dresses. You could totally do that, but this really isn’t that kind of pizza. This is a kick ass, rough and tumble, belly filling, hunger satisfying, man friendly pizza disguised as a pretty, dainty little snack. Be prepared to fight for the death to get the last slice.
You can make your own pizza dough if you are feeling noble, but I find there are certain things in life that are worth the short cut. Trader Joe’s pizza dough is one of them. Most pre-made pizza doughs are a bit disappointing (especially if they come in a vacuum sealed can or pre-cooked and wrapped in plastic, I won’t name names here). But, trader joe’s pizza dough is legit. I like the whole wheat because it makes me think I can put an extra layer of cheese on my pizza and not feel guilty.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup good quality strawberry jam
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- Pizza dough
- olive oil
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 ounces mozzarella cheese (I probably used 10 ounces….)
- 2 ounces fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 TB fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Roll out your pizza dough and place on a pizza stone or baking sheet
2. To make the sauce, add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and let cook 4-5 minutes or until reduced by about half with a thick, syrupy texture. In a small bowl, combine the balsamic reduction with the strawberry jam and chili sauce. Set aside.
3. To assemble the pizza, lightly brush the perimeter of the dough with olive oil. Spread the balsamic-strawberry mixture in a thin layer over the crust. Layer with the chicken, bacon, onion, cheeses, cilantro, and strawberries. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
Source: Adapted from Annie’s Eats