I was a regular Betty Crocker last night. I baked these beauties and some delicious muffins I will post for you later this week. I can be quite productive when there is nothing good on TV. I like to call these “Forever Young Bars” because they have a ton of blueberries in them, and blueberries are packed with antioxidants. They also have a ton of butter in them, but I think butter keeps your complexion bright and glowing and helps keep you young too. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. These bars are super easy to make, and they taste like miniature blueberry pies. The perfect summer treat!
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest.
3. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg until the dough is well mixed and crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
4. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the blueberries.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and berries are bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Source: Adapted from Smitten Kitchen