It’s Friday!! Yay!! Event though I am basking in Friday bliss and don’t want to even mention that evil word Monday (blegh!), this is a Monday night recipe. Or, as I refer to it, a weekend food hangover recovery meal. If weekends didn’t exist I would probably be about twenty pounds thinner, although I would more likely be dead because what’s the point of living if not for the weekends? I think I consume double the amount of daily calories on Saturdays and Sundays that I do on weekdays. Then when Monday rolls around, I find myself feeling a strong urge to eat something supper healthy. However, I also find myself extremely lazy and possibly a little grumpy on Mondays so I don’t want to be bothered with anything too difficult. In walks this amazing salmon dish and saves the day. Add these ingredients to your weekend grocery list, you’ll thank me when that evil day rolls around.
- 3 TB extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 4 (4-ounce) pieces salmon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 TB capers
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the garlic, 2 TB of olive oil, salt, and pepper to the spaghetti and toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Warm the remaining 1 TB of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Add the fish to the pan and cook until just cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fish. Remove the salmon from the pan.
4. Add the basil, capers, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the spaghetti mixture and toss to combine.
5. To serve, Place 1/2 cup spinach on each plate or bowl. Divide the pasta mixture evenly on top of the spinach. Top each mound of pasta with a piece of salmon. Serve immediately.
Source: Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis