So, I went shopping for jeans Sunday. Not fun. Almost as bad as bathing suit shopping, okay maybe not, but still… I did that thing that you are totally not supposed to do and bought jeans that were a bit too tight but convinced myself they would soon fit perfectly as I was starting a diet. I truly had intentions to start a healthy eating regimine and go running regularly, but then I went home and watched Julie & Julia. Now I have my i phone calendar loaded up with Julia Child recipes including, but not limited to, chocolate souffle, ham and cheese souffle, boeuf bourguignon, coq au vin, and an apple and custard tart. I know tailors can take jeans in, but can they take them out? I’m gonna need a few extra inches in the waist to make room for all the French deliciousness I have planned. In the meantime, I will eat this salad to convince myself I am making a valiant effort to fit into those new jeans…
- 1/2 lb (8 oz) sea scallops
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 navel orange
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 tbsp red onion, chopped
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, juice from 1/2 the lemon, juice of 1/4 the orange, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside
2. Peel the remaining orange and cut into small chunks/segments. Mix the baby greens and arugula together and divide amongst two plates. Top the greens with the oranges and chopped red onion.
3. Wash the scallops and pat them dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt. Heat a medium skillet over high heat. When skillet is hot, melt the butter, and place the scallops in the pan. Sear one to two minutes, then flip over and cook an additional one to two minutes. Be careful not to overcook.
4. Remove the scallops from the pan and place on the bed of greens. Drizzle the vinaigrette over each serving.
Source: Adapted from Skinny Taste