It’s Finally Raining!! Cloudy and gray and raining. Yay!! I know typically a gloomy, wet Saturday doesn’t excite people, but I have been patiently (okay impatiently) waiting for fall to arrive for forever! It’s been way too hot to wear boots or make homemade soup and I have not been happy about it. It’s also rather hard to rationalize sleeping in and watching movies in bed all morning when it’s 80 degrees and sunny outside. Now I have an excuse to be lazy and I love it! Pumpkin flavored baked goods also taste much better when it’s cold outside, they seem somewhat out of place in summer weather. Guess I need to take a break from my laziness and whip up another batch of these muffins.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- non stick spray
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Makes 12 muffins
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir to combine and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand up mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the canned pumpkin, oil, egg whites, and vanilla at medium speed until thick and smooth.
4. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed until incorporated, being careful not to overmix. Fold in the chopped pecans.
5. Divide the batter amongst the muffin tins and bake 24-26 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for about 15 minutes and serve.
Source: Adapted from Skinny Taste