Hi, my name is Jessica and I am a food snob. Shocker, I know. One of the side effects of my condition was a strong aversion to crock pots. I thought the only halfway decent thing that could be made in a crock pot was chili. I looked down on them as the tool of the overworked and under satisfied. But alas, I was wrong. Crock pots are not evil, and can be the source of total deliciousness. Most importantly, they are excellent at erasing weeknight excuses for skipping the gym. Throw your ingredients in the pot in the morning, hit the gym after work, and come home to a hot meal ready to be devoured. You can’t get much better than that. So it appears this food snob is on the road to recovery thanks to these delicious tacos. However, you will still never ever ever find me in an Applebees.
For the Short ribs:
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 3/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cups Plus 3 TB Brown Sugar
- 6 TB Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 TB Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 pounds Beef Short Ribs
For the Cucumber Slaw:
- 1/2 whole Hot House Cucumber
- 1 small carrot
- 4 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 pinches Salt
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Flour Tortillas, warmed in the oven
- Cilantro, for topping
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, oil, and red pepper flakes.
2. Place the short ribs in a single layer in the crock pot and pour the sauce over the top. Turn the crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours.
3. Remove the meat from the crock pot and remove meat from the bone. (It should easily fall right off)
4. Ladle the sauce out of the crockpot and into a small sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened.
5. Peel the cucumber and carrot and slice or chop into small pieces. Mix the veggies together with the vinegar, sugar, salt and red pepper.
6. To assemble the tacos, place a good serving of meat in each tortilla, top with extra sauce if desired, and the cucumber slaw. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
Source: Adapted from A Tasty Kitchen