This was the first weekend morning in a long time that I didn’t have to wake up to an alarm clock. I had big plans to sleep until 11:00am. But, come 8:00am I was wide awake. Ugh. I guess this means I am becoming a grown up? Guess this also means I better stock up on the antioxidants to keep the wrinkles at bay. Luckily, these muffins are jam packed with fresh blueberries, which is supposedly an anti-aging wonder food. Plus, they make waking up early on a Saturday much more enjoyable.
Makes One Dozen Muffins
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 TB butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (about 6 ounces)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt
2. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the applesauce, egg, butter and vanilla
3. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir gently until just combined, be careful not to overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries.
4. Line 12 muffin tins and pour the batter into the tins. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
5. Cool the muffins in their tins for about 10 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
Source: Adapted from Skinny Taste