We made the very wise decision this spring to plant zucchini in our little vegetable garden. It has been growing like crazy! Because of this I am constantly on the look out for good zucchini recipes. I feel like Bubba Gump except with zucchini instead of shrimp. “fried zucchini, zucchini breakfast hash, zucchini with sausage, zucchini enchiladas, zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, steamed zucchini, pickled zucchini, zucchini quiche…” You get the point. This recipe comes from my Aunt Martha who entered it in a competition at a zucchini festival in the Bay Area the year I was born and won second place! I can definitely see why, it is pretty delicious. Now I just need to get my hands on the first place recipe so I can whip that up with the next batch of home grown zucchinis.
- One pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 TB butter
- 1 TB flour
- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 ounces monterey jack, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- Salt and Pepper
1. Sprinkle the grated zucchini generously with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes to draw out the water. After 30 minutes squeeze the zucchini to get out the excess water
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the pie crust in a pie dish and prick the bottom a few times with a fork.
3. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute the green onions for 1-2 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook until heated through. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
4. Bake the prepared pie shell for 5 minutes in the oven.
5. When the pie shell is done, spread the zucchini and onion mixture evenly over the bottom. Sprinkle the green chilies evenly on top. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the chilies.
6. Gently whisk together the eggs, half and half and salt and pepper.
7. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the pie shell. Top with the remaining cheese.
8. Bake the quiche at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 20-25 minutes until the filling as puffed up and is firm in the center.
Source: Family Recipe