I love corn. I spent yesterday trying to think of some witty comment I could write about my love for corn. I tried to come up with some kind of Iowa reference or maybe a quote from one of the “Children of the Corn” movies, but then I decided to just keep it to a simple statement of my love for the happy, yellow, summer fruit (Yes, corn is a fruit – Google it). I’ve also discovered that roasting vegetables is by far the best way to eat them. I’ve previously discussed my childhood hatred of Brussel sprouts that turned into an intense infatuation once I discovered they could be roasted instead of boiled, and corn is even more delicious when roasted as well. Bobby Flay knows what’s up.
- 2 ears corn
- 2 TB vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1/2 large red onion finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Tortilla Chips, for serving
1. Pre-heat the grill or an indoor grill pan. Remove the husks from the corn. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Grill for 10-15 minutes, rotating frequently until kernels begin to char.
2. While corn is grilling, combine the avocados, chile, onion, lime in cilantro in a large bowl and mash with a fork until smooth.
3. Once corn is done, remove from grill and allow to cool for a few minutes. Once slightly cooled, remove the kernels with a sharp knife. Add the kernels to the guacamole and stir to combine.
4. Serve promptly with tortilla chips.
Source: Adapted from Bobby Flay