One of my Christmas presents this year was Giada’s new book “Feel Good Food”. It has all the recipes she actually cooks at home to help her stay so tiny. I’ve already made a list of about fifty that I want to try. I made these for a little pre-Christmas wine night at my house. They’re super easy and can be made in advance. They have the perfect amount of spice and are a great cocktail party snack. Plus, it gives you an excuse to say things like “Who wants to try my hot and spicy nuts?!” Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Clearly, I played one too many rounds of Cards Against Humanity over the Christmas holiday…
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TB maple syrup
- 1 TB dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup raw shelled sunflower seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees
2. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg white and the salt until it begins to foam. Add the maple syrup, rosemary and cayenne pepper and stir to combine.
4. Mix the nuts and seeds into the bowl with the egg whites and stir until well coated.
5. Spread the nuts in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring half way through. When the nuts are crisp and brown they are ready.
6. Cool before serving or storing.
Source: Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis