Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Sorry I didn’t make you something Irish today. I also forgot to wear green. I know, I am a terrible person. Hopefully, after you take a bite of these healthy yet delicious pancakes, you will find it in your heart to forgive me – and not pinch me.
Don’t you just love it when you can sneak chocolate into something good for you? Fruit, whole wheat, chocolate, more fruit – it’s totally hidden in there, a guilt-free indulgence!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- non-stick cooking spray
- butter, optional
- raspberries, optional
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate small bowl, mix together the egg, milk, banana and 1 TB of the maple syrup.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined – batter will be a little lumpy. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
4. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Pour about 3/4 cup of the batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook for about 2 minutes per side. You will know it’s time to flip when the batter begins to bubble and the sides begin to harden.
5. Serve immediately with butter, syrup and raspberries.