Did you have a nice Memorial Day? Did you spend an hour cleaning your grill to get ready for summer like we did? Was it worth every ounce of blood, sweat and tears? I certainly think it was. But then again, I was inside baking a pie while my Husband was scrubbing away at the grill.
As promised, I am sticking to my goal of making at least two recipes from each of my dusty old cookbooks. This week I’m using the very witty, easy and delicious, “100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know” by Cindi Leive and the Editors of Glamour magazine. In addition to this Man Salad it has some hilariously titled recipes like “Forget the Mistake you Made at Work Margarita”, “Win Friends and Influence People Cookies”, and the world famous “Engagement Chicken“.
I personally think the title Man Salad is a little sexist. I mean, since when are women not supposed to love steak? But I digress. All that really matters is this salad is quite delicious and really easy to make. You don’t even have to clean off your dirty grill if you don’t want to. You can cook the steak just as easily in a hot skillet on your stove top. Just be careful not to get the marinade all over your pretty pink cookbook like I did. Apparently you are supposed to seal plastic bags before violently shaking their contents. Who knew?
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 TB soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 lb skirt steak, cut in half
- 2 TB olive oil
- 5 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces arugula, washed and dried
1. Mince the garlic and mash it with the sea salt to form a paste. If you have a handy dandy Mortar and Pestle it would come in handy.
2. Combine the garlic paste, juice of 1/2 the lemon, soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place the steak in a large resealable plastic bag and our the marinade over it. Seal the bag and massage the meat to coat with the marinade. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes or in the fridge for up to two hours.
3. Fire up the grill or heat a large skillet over high heat. If using a skillet add a tablespoon of the olive oil and cook the steak about 3 minutes on each side for medium rare and longer if you like your steak more well done. Cook about the same time per side on the grill.
4. Use the same skillet the steak was cooked in to saute the mushrooms and bell peppers over medium-high heat until the begin to soften and brown slightly; about 5 minutes.
5. Toss the arugula and sliced onions together in a large bowl. Whisk together the remaining TB of olive oil with the juice of the other lemon half. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the arugula. Toss to coat evenly.
6. Divide the Arugula between two plates. Slice the steak into thin strips and place on top of the arugula. Top with the mushrooms and bell peppers. Serve with an ice cold beer – obviously.
Source: Adapted from “100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know” by Cindi Leive